Friday, July 30, 2010

24 hour potty training!

Everyone says that boys are the hardest to pottytrain... it took ONE day for pace face! I had heard a little about the potty training in 24 hours book but I didnt know anyone who had it so about a month ago I just decided to devote one saturday to the task and try some things I had heard about it. First I made sure there were no distrations all day long (no tv, movies, cell phones, and no one was allowed to come over). Then I got his potty out and set it in the kitchen and stripped him down to his birthday suite. He thought it was the coolest thing ever to run around naked all day:). Next I fed him lots of salty foods like crackers so that he would want to drink lots of juice and water (this gives more opportunities to train). First time he peed he didnt quite make it to the potty but he got right next to it so I clapped and praised him and gently reminded him that pee goes in the potty not on the floor. ( Dont ever get upset if they have an accident it sets them back.. or atleast it did big time with Addi). The next time he had to go he was in my room so he ran out the sliding glass door to the back yard and peed on the grass. At least it wasnt on the floor so I still clapped and prasied him. (This is a conditioning method-you praise them for taking baby steps in the right direction- I learned that in my psychology class:). The third times a charm because he finally got it right into his potty and I was jumping up and down and clapping and made such a big deal he thought it was halarious! This continued for the rest of the day and at night I didnt give him any liquids and made him go potty before bed and WALAA! He woke up with a dry diaper!! He has been so fantastic ever since AND I have not had to waste $ buying pull ups.. the poo thing was a little harder he had a couple accidents until my grandma bought him some cars. We put the package of cars up above the toilet and told him he could have one each time he went poop and we have never had an accident again!! What a dream! Now I know what to do with the rest of my kids!! (if there are anymore...) Im sure every kid is different but this was so easy its worth a try!! Its been a diaper free month and I have already thought of several things I can put that $50 a month towards:)

5 comments:

Kevin, Rachel & Claire said...

Yay Payson!!!!! Good job too Kelli!

Jen said...

Way to go! You actually got me excited to try to potty train Cam. She is interested but I don't want to try until we get back from our mini road trip in two weeks. I can only pray it goes as smoothly as it did for you! I'm definitely going to try that method! Way to go Payson!!!

Laura Edwards said...

Awesome! Great job Payson! And great job Kelli (this is a praising method. ha.) He looks so cute posing in his Buzz Lightyear undies!

Jacobson said...

I need to add this one more tidbit.. THEY HAVE TO BE READY! Kids show signs of being ready like when they hide to go potty in their diaper... things like that... I could have just got lucky with pace but he definately acted ready. GOOD LUCK JEN! Let me know how it goes with Cam:) Ha ha thanks for the praising method Laura.. and Rach!

Josh and Christina Cook said...

hehe Payson is so cute! Good job with the training. One of my friends has been fighting her daughter for 3 months trying to get her to use the potty. 24hrs sound much nicer!